Monday, March 26, 2012

Sunday at Rock Creek

I unfortunately didn't end up going to the Missouri last weekend because I wanted to save my money for the spring break trip, Destination: TBA. Sunday Cody, his friend DJ from California and I headed up to Rock Creek which is about 30 miles out of Missoula. The sun was shinning and temps where in the 60's. We traveled up the rough, icy, rut filled road that runs parallel to rock creek until we felt like it was the right spot. We got out of the car and started to rig up our rods. I was debating bringing two rods, 1 for streamer fishing and 1 for nymphing. There was a nice looking pool directly below were we pulled off the road so I went down to see if the fish would eat a streamer.

I didn't get any hits so I made the decision to only bring a nymphing rod. We started fishing up river and it wasn't long before Cody hooked up with a fish.

Fish on!
Showin' a little head

It was a little while longer before I hooked up with my first fish but it was a wild little guy. He put up a good little fight with 3 jumps before I got him into the net. We fished for a solid 5 hours and couldn't have asked for a better day. DJ was doing everything right but just couldn't hook up with a fish. I ended the day with 2 fish landed and a couple others lost and Cody ended up with 10 or so. One of my favorite things about Rock Creek is that its a smaller river compared to other rivers in Montana like the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Blackfoot and Missouri. It was nice to get back to my roots fishing pockets and little seams just like the ones im used to fishing back in Vermont. It was a great day to be out on the water with good weather, good people and good fishing. 

 DJ and Cody down river
Little Rainbow
Cody's photography


The weather tomorrow is shaping up to be like sunday and I think me and Alec might head up rock creek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment