Monday, March 5, 2012

A sign of Spring? I dont' know but I love this weather!

I woke up early again sunday morning expecting blue skys and high temperatures. Me and Alec packed up our gear and headed to the car to go pick up Cody. I opened the front door to the dorms greeted by a warm breeze and that blue sky I was looking for. It was 40 degrees before 9 o'clock and it was predicted to get in the high 50's. Alec, Cody and I hit the road to the bitterroot, we had to stop in the town of Hamilton to meet up with a guy Cody and Alec had met on the Missouri River a couple weekends ago. They were going to fish with him up river for the day and I was going down on my on adventure.
Sun peeking over "The M"
The root

The day started off slow with no fish in the first 3 runs. I started to fish this slow deep run along the bank and on my first drift my indicator went under and I set the hook. The fish gave me a few head shakes and was gone... I continued fishing that run and after about 10 more drifts I hooked up with a nice cutthroat of about 13 inches. That was the theme of the day Cutties. I fished the rest of the day in a T-shirt which I haven't done since August, temperatures reached the 60's! It was a beautiful day on the river, I ended up with a couple fish and a sun burn on my neck.
 Bitterroot Cutthroat
 My dream house
 Mountains and Cutties

On my way back up river to meet up with Alec, Cody and Bob I walked up on a group of deer crossing the river. I was pretty cool how the went single file across the river. Just another reason why I love Montana!
 You go first.. No you go first.
Follow me
Single file everyone

I met up with the guys and we were all in need of a lot of food. Bob knew a place in town were we could get a huge family size pizza and breadsticks on a college kid budget. We scarfed down the pizza and talked about fishing and some more fishing. We paid the bill, said our goodbyes to bob and hit the road back to Missoula. This week is supposed to be beautiful but I gotta take care of business with school before I hit the river. 

No comments:

Post a Comment