Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunday FUNday

Yesterday Alec and I headed down the Bitterroots to meet up with our friend Bob. I was eager to fish with Bob, pick his brain and be able to fish out of a boat(For only my second time).We got on the river around 8 and didn't take out until around 730. With close to twelve hours on the water one would think we landed piles of fish right?... Not the case on this trip, It was my first real experience technical dry fly fishing and it was a hell of a time. We set up on and casted at multiple large rising fish in different stretches of the river but weren't able to get them to the boat. It took me a while to get down the long reach casts that we were making but once I was able to get a good cast with a good drag free drift I was rewarded by a big eat and an acrobatic fish jumping nearly 3ft out of the water. Even though the fish spit the hook it was a good feeling knowing I got the big fish to eat. Between the big eats, missed hook sets, break offs, and acrobatic fish I had one of the most relaxing/fun days of fishing in a long time. To be able to drift down the river effortlessly in a raft or boat while fishing with two good friends is so relaxing and a great way to spend a sunday if you ask me! We didn't get completely skunked though, each of us were able to land at least one fish.


"The Grey Whale"
 Streamer eating brownie
Beauty Bow

Big thanks to Bob and Alec for a great day on the water and some great fly fishing experiences. See you for fall streamer season Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment