Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Shenanigans

As I sat and ate breakfast at the Hob Nob with my friend Cam, I couldn't help but think about the day ahead of me on the river. It has been a few days since I hooked up with a fish and I wanted that feeling back. After breakfast I head down 93 to the Bitterroot River, then one of my top 5 favorite classic rock songs came on "All along the watchtower" Jimi Hendrix version. I cranked up the volume and cruised through the bitterroot valley. I arrived at the access I was going to be fishing for the day, rigged up my streamer and nymphing rod and started walking to the river. The path was awfully icy and i look up for a split second and wooop my feet flew out from under me and the next thing I know im "rolling down the windows" I fell right on my ass. I quickly looked around to see if anyone had seen me, brushed myself off and continued to the river.
                                         Winter on the Bitterroot

I decided I would go explore upstream cause I had never been up river at this access. After hiking through some brush for a while I came out on this beautiful side braid with a fallen tree in it. I thought to myself there has to be a fish in that run.
                                                  The honey hole

After about ten drifts past the log with no action I finally got the perfect cast and drift. It was as close to the log I could get without snagging on it. My indicator ducked under a branch sticking off the tree and my line got tight! I set the hook and the battle was on. I stripped some line to make sure the fish didn't get tied up in the tree. I got the fish on the reel and fought it a little more before getting it to shore. It was a beautiful rainbow about 16 inches. I snapped a quick picture and got a release video. 


I fished the rest of the day without catching anymore but this one was enough for me. I finally got that feeling back again and it felt great! Back to school tomorrow  but the weathers looking good for Tuesday! 35 and sunny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment