Thursday, September 5, 2013

British Columbia

The first week of school had me in some sort of trance. Getting back in the school groove was taking its tole on me. Luckily, my good friend Alec woke me from this trance. He asked me to come along on a 4 day trip to British Columbia in search of large bull trout and cutthroat. I didn't even have to think twice before saying, Im in. Suddenly the pressure of school was lifted and all I could think about was the cold, clean and clear water teeming with wild trout. Thursday afternoon finally arrived. After some minor set backs the 6 of us hit the road en route to Fernie, British Columbia. We drove the last few hours in the dark and ended up camping near a Tim Hortons parking lot. When I awoke Friday morning I was greeted with some of the most amazing scenery I have ever laid eyes on. At this time I took the only two pictures I took the whole trip.


View from "The Cove" aka Tim Hortons parking lot

I wish I had more pictures to show. My excuse, the fishing was so good and the landscape so breathe taking my time was spent soaking it all in for myself. Real selfish I know. All three days of fishing were spent stripping streamers with the occasional dry fly presentation. The streamer fishing was consistent for the most part with healthy cutties willing to come out from their hiding spot and smash a 4 inch streamer. The bull trout were a different story. They wanted the fly right in front of their face. I was able to catch two bulls in the 21-23 inch range as well as a few under 20 and countless numbers of colorful cutthroat. The guys I fished with took most of the pictures. It being their second trip to BC they were able to spend more time with a camera in hand instead of a fly rod. I hope to get some pictures from those guys. When I do, I will be sure to post them for you all to see. This trip was nothing short of spectacular in so many ways. I got to see pristine landscapes, beautiful water and crazy Canadians. I experienced great fishing, good company, a bull trout eat a cutthroat and surprisingly good precooked barbecue ribs. Along with those experience come great memories that I will never forget. I would like to thank everyone who went on this trip for making it spectacular and Alec for the invitation to come along on such a great trip. Thank you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment