Monday, March 18, 2013

First Skwala Experience

Last week I was able to get out on the river for the warmest day of 2013 to date. A few days prior there had been rumor that the skwalas were out on the bitterroot and I was eager to experience my first skwala hatch. The day started off okay, I was able to catch a couple feisty browns on streamers. Then IT HAPPENED, fish started looking up and consistently rising. I wasted no time tying on a skwala dry and first cast I hooked up with a nice cutthroat. It only got better from there. I caught 10+ fish on drys, the biggest being a 19 inch brown. Now I finally understand what all the fus is about when spring rolls around on the Bitterroot.








1 comment:

  1. “...fish started looking up and consistently rising.”- Isn't it exciting? I think that's the most exciting part of fishing – when the fish started to jump out from the water and we become busy catching all of them as possible as we can. ==Bernita @ CatchMeIfUCanFishingCharters.com

    ReplyDelete